Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What God has joined, people must not divide!

I was in a wedding from one of my high school buddies this weekend. He is Catholic and the wedding service included a mass. I was so impressed with how Christ centered and Christ honoring the service was. The Pastor (he called himself a Pastor and the church members called him Father) was very intriguing. He was a tall and skinny man with a deep and booming voice. He had a way of saying things with eloquence and beauty that really captured my attention. Walking into the service, I thought it would feel route and rehearsed, but instead it felt authentic and alive. My favorite part was when he was talking to the church about our role in supporting our friends who were getting married. He took some steps forward, out of the pulpit, and got really close to us. Then he charged us with the words, “What God has joined, people must not divide!” He said it with such conviction and power. I felt a responsibility in that moment, as a brother in Christ; to do whatever I can to make sure my friend’s marriage stands the test of time.

What if we lived as if we believed that statement: What God has joined, people must not divide. How different would our lives be? How different would our friendships be? How different would our parenting be?

No comments: