Wednesday, October 03, 2007

If You Think I'm Torn Between Two Lovers, Then You Must Be Feeling Like a Fool

It was my freshman year at Baylor, two weeks into school, and I was already making the news. TV interviews, feature articles in the Waco Trib & Lariat, radio shows... Everyone knew who I was, but not because of anything I had done. They knew me because of my last name and the fact that the Baylor football team was about to play the defending National Champion Colorado Buffaloes.

My dorm room was decorated in CU black and gold. Okay - decorated may be too soft a word - lets go with plastered. I think it would be safe to say that everyone on that campus knew where my loyalties were. The Waco Trib article was entitled, Blood is Thicker than Dr Pepper.

I am telling you this because the Buffs & Bears will meet again this Saturday and people are always asking me who I will be cheering for. While it is true that since my Dad no longer coaches the Buffs, my loyalty (or fanaticism) has indeed waned. It is also true, that with more years of living - my intoxication with sports in general has become more tempered. And lets be fair, since my first two weeks of college my love for Baylor has grown leaps and bounds. But people... let's be clear. When it comes to college football: I am a Buff first and I am a Bear second. The Bears are my favorite team in every sport but one. So there is no need to ask me about this Saturday, just simply join me in chanting: Go Buffs!

2 comments:

Mike Mac said...

Little Brother Marc:

It's nice to know you won't be needing to change your last name.

GO BUFFS.

Big Brother Mike

Anonymous said...

I believe this borders on heretical, and I will be contacting the Alumni Association for further investigation!!!

Sic 'em!!!!!!!!!