Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jacket Fight Never Dies

Coach: "Jacket Fight!"
Team: "Never Dies!"

Coach: "How bad will we win?"
Team: "Real bad!"

Coach: "Jacket Fight!"
Team: "Never Dies!"

Coach: "How hard will we play?"
Team: "Real hard!"

Coach: "Jacket Fight!"
Team: "Never Dies!"

There is a buzz in the air. Emotions are high. My blood is flowing free! My heart is beating faster and faster. I feel like I am in High School again! It's the day before a big game and the coaches and players are fired up. They are chanting, screaming really. I think they could go out and play right now!

It's the Rockwall Yellow Jackets (please don't ask why they wear orange and white) High School Football team. I am sitting in on their team meeting as the coaches make the final preparations before their big game tomorrow night - which will be on TV on Fox Sports. The big game is coming... how could these students possibly think of anything else. Their ultimate goal is to win the state championship, but their immediate goal is to play 11 games. Translation: in order to get to that 11th game they need to make the playoffs and tomorrow night's game will be a big test. It's on!

So what the heck am I doing in the middle of all of this? That's a great question. I have been asked to lead the team in a devotional. No spell check needed - a devotional. I am here to tell them about Jesus Christ and how my relationship with Jesus is the most important thing in my life. This is the second year in a row that I have had the privilege of speaking to the Rockwall Football Team during their weekly chapel service. I absolutely love doing it. It's fun for me to be back in the team environment. But its even better to see how these coaches are pouring into these kids lives.

Anyone that knows me understands that I love sports and in particular football. But what I love about sports goes way beyond the practices and the games. It has to do with the deep relationships that are formed and the amazing impact a coach can have on a player. And Rockwall is an incredible example of this...

I spoke for about 10 minutes and threw in a couple of football stories, but the basic message was John 14:6, "Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me." I felt like I connected with the team. Not an eye left me during the entire talk. But what happened when I was done, well that is the real story...

The Head Coach gets up in front of the team and calls each coach up one by one to address the team. Every single one of them comments on my talk and then talks about their own personal faith in Christ. Each one of them is passionate. They all talk about how much more important it is to them that the kids know Christ than it is for them to win football games. Scripture is quoted like a coach spouting the game plan and the Gospel is told over and over. The Head Coach talks last. He reiterates the team goals and the hard work they have all put into playing for the 11th game. But, he says... I don't care about any of that compared to my desire to see you bring glory to God.

That's why I love sports. I saw men of God at work tonight in these coaches. These guys don't compromise for a second their mandate to win football games, but they also understand that as followers of Christ they have a higher calling. It was a beautiful thing to experience. I suspect that even my friends who don't get or enjoy sports would have been blown away by tonight. This is a public High School after all, but isn't this also how we are supposed to live? On mission... at all times... in all circumstances... for Christ. It was awesome!

Jacket Fight Never Dies! That's the motto of the Rockwall Football Team that you'll hear the fans cheer and the team play by. But the glory of God is the banner under which they have been encouraged to play and live. Praise Jesus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Chiloso for breakfast a few weeks ago and the same team you spoke to was in front of me...

They ate all the bacon.

Seriously though, awesome opportunity. :)

Marc Mac said...

Any day at Chiloso is a grand day - bacon or not...

You must join our Addicted to Chiloso Group on Facebook. Invitation forthcoming...

Anonymous said...

This is so hard! I'm torn... It's awesome that Jesus has such a strong presence around the Rockwall football team! Man, I really respect you for being BOLD and taking such an "in your face" text" to those guys!! However, you've now fired them up to play MY alma mater - South Garland! I love the dynamic of Christ-centered pre-game devotionals, but tonight, I say, "Go Colonels Go."