Thursday, December 04, 2008

Challenge

I like challenge. Maybe that's why I like sports so much - because each game represents it's own challenge. I'm pretty sure I got this disease from my Dad. I remember him doing stuff when I was a kid like running for 200 consecutive days, or getting up earlier than everyone else in the morning, or committing to do things that others wouldn't do. I felt like sometimes my Dad would do these things because he liked the challenge. I have some of my own examples:

Diets - I love to do fad diets because of the challenge. Eat only meat and cheese for 3 weeks...sounds good to me. Have to give up all products with white flour in them... why not! No meats and sweets for 60 days... I'm in!

Card Games - I find it impossible to simply enjoy a game of cards. I need to study your play. Determine your patterns. Count your cards. And prey on your tendencies.

Pancakes - I want to be the man when it comes to making pancakes. I make them virtually every Saturday of the year (unless my current fad diet doesn't allow them). I experiment with different ingredients. I use the latest flipping techniques. I know the difference between real eggs and egg beaters. Sometimes I make 9 different flavors of pancake for one Saturday morning meal... for four people.

I've learned that one of the by products of someone who likes challenge is discipline. And this carries over to every area of my life. If I view things as a challenge - then I will form the necessary disciplines to meet the challenge.

1 comment:

Lyndi Mac said...

Hummmmn, I think I ate too much pizza when I was pregnant with you. You are too cute. Love ya
Mom