Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

What images come to mind when you think of a Father? Are they good or bad? Or maybe a mixture of both? When you think of a Father - do you think about your own Dad or do you think of God? If you are a Dad, do you ever think about the kind of Father you want to be?

For me, when I think of a Father the images are both of my Dad and my God. I think of the power that a Father has on his children. In so many ways, like it or not, we are like our Father's. In so many ways, like it or not, we want to be like our Father's.

I recently read an article about the 25th anniversary of my Dad's hiring as the Coach at CU. (Click here and page down 3 or 4 times to read the article - it's called "Q&A with a Buff") This brought back many great memories of my Dad as a football coach. There is even a link to a video someone made about his first few years as at CU. I loved my Dad's job and our involvement with college football. And I did grow up wanting to be like my Dad, but not just because he was a coach. My Dad gave our family a vision for something much larger than football.

A Father sets a vision for his family. A Father is the leader of his family. Almighty God is our ultimate Father and He has given us our ultimate vision. I am blessed beyond measure, because my Dad made it his life's goal to love our Father God with all of his heart. My Dad is far from perfect, but he passed onto our family a vision to live our lives wholehearted for Jesus Christ. My Dad is my hero and on my very best days, I am a little bit like him. I could say so much more about my Dad, but I'll leave you with this - I don't know anyone else in the world who loves Jesus more than my Dad. That's the kind of man he is and the kind of man I want to be.

3 comments:

Margaret Feinberg said...

A father definately sets the tone in a lot of areas for a family. I love the positive things that you bring up about your dad.

Steve Hayes said...

Man, that video was awesome! I remember those days well. That was when my brother was an underclassman at CU. That Nebraska game was incredible!!

Dude, it's still so cool that your Dad was the coach at CU. You're a great guy, but it's just a bonus knowing that you're Coach Mac's son. Your Dad was/is the real deal!!

Lyndi Mac said...

Beautiful and honoring. It touched your Dad's heart and he felt so undeserving. You blessed his socks off.